Monday, October 10, 2005

Yahoo's Podcast search

Yahoo just released Yahoo Podcasts, a podcast search and directory service. Much like Odeo, Yahoo's service has a clean interface with the ability to tag, rate and review podcasts. I have only played with it for a short time (who does a through review before they blog these days?) but it seems to be a good source for podcasting information.

what's in a name?

I did a vanity search for my podcast (I bet anyone who owns a podcast searches for theirs first) and found it. A good start for Yahoo since I had to add my podcast to Apple's directory in Itunes and claim my podcast in Odeo. Looks like they spent time crawling all the RSS feeds out there to acquire a nice directory. So far so good.

How to's

They have included a good getting started section for both listeners and producers. They even give you code if you want to hand craft your RSS feed. The problem here is they only suggest their Geocities service for hosting options and don't even hint a word of RSS providers like Feedburner. Sure yahoo needs to promote its products, but Geocities? Please.

Search me silly

Like I said before, so far so good. I continued to search some podcasts I frequent to see how hard it is to find content. Yahoo does a good job in posting what I am looking for, so lets take it a step further. I don't know what I am looking for, Yahoo how can you help me? I do a simple search for "movies" because I want to hear podcasts by movie critics. NPR: movies tops the list with the perennial favorite "Ebert and Roeper" ranking a not so hot 5th. Not bad and I like the way they break out Podcasts search by series and episodes.

I like Integration

Yahoo offers a subscribe service that easily integrates with Itunes. They have a simple to follow page that tells you what to do when you hit subscribe, and presto a new podcast in my itunes podcast subscription list. That was easy.......

So I can see the value for me. I want a good search/directory that I can find new podcast content that I can add to Itunes. Yahoo you fulfilled my request.....

In the money

What does Yahoo gain from being the 5th or 6th player in this space? Apple's integration with Itunes made me switch from IpodderX and Yahoo doesn't have a Podcast Player. Or do they. Are they going to integrate this service into their Yahoo music subscription service much like Itunes has? Or is this just another added value to come to my portal so we can advertise the hell out of you ploy? In any event, this is a service that looks good for a short timer. Lets see what happens when I put it up against odeo and itunes........